Branford Veterinary Hospital, established 1937
Our practice was started in 1937 by Dr. Philip Gerlach. During those years, Branford was still a predominantly rural community, and most of Dr. Gerlach’s work involved helping farm animals. He originally saw small animal patients in the basement of his residence. Our current facility was built by Dr. Gerlach in the 1950’s.
Branford Veterinary Hospital was operated briefly as a satellite clinic to Guilford Veterinary Hospital during the early 1980’s. It was then purchased by Dr. Schaper in 1988. Dr. Schaper continued to service farm animals, as well as helping exotic mammals, reptiles, and wildlife. Dr. Schaper updated the facility, including an addition to provide much needed laboratory, kennel, parking, and office space.
Today our hospital mainly services canine and feline patients. Our clients include residents of Branford, North Branford, East Haven, New Haven, Guilford, and Madison. We also regularly see exotic pets, animal control cases, wildlife, and service (police) dogs.